Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happy New Year! I'm back!

Did you get your 366 black-eyed peas for luck and greens for money on new year's day? I had been so busy that I had forgotten all about it til a few days before. Unfortunately, the store was out of dried and fresh black-eyed peas so I had to go with canned. I ended up making a sage bep dish.

And then I forgot about the greens! How could I forget those?! I went outside around 8 (in my robe with a flashlight!) and harvested some rainbow chard, purple mustard greens, and purple pak choi. I usually eat/drink greens raw but I wanted to do the traditional NYD thing so I sauteed them in safflower oil and added garlic, onion, and chili powder, pepper, salt, and vinegar. It's crazy how that much raw cooks down into two small servings. I left the rib in the leafy parts but cut it off below the leaf. I take the leftover stems and freeze them for my dogs to eat as a treat. It was pretty good (a little too salty) and I hope it brings me green for 2012!☺

I also hope all of you have a green, healthy 2012! The new year brings a perfect chance to challenge yourself to make healthier food and drink choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment